Sunday, November 11, 2007

Louis J Sheehan 110907.10946

Louis J Sheehan Esquire 43366

Influential quotations from Augustine's writings

"Give what Thou dost command, and command what Thou wilt." ("Da quod jubes, et jube quod vis," Confessions X, xxix, 40)
"Thou madest us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it repose in Thee." (Confessions I, i, 1)
"Love the sinner and hate the sin" (Cum dilectione hominum et odio vitiorum) (Opera Omnia, vol II. col. 962, letter 211.), literally "With love for mankind and hatred of sins "[13]
"Excess [i.e., 'extravagant self-indulgence, riotous living'] is the enemy of God" (Luxuria est inimica Dei.)
"Heart speaks to heart" (Cor ad cor loquitur)[14]
"Nothing conquers except truth and the victory of truth is love" (Victoria veritatis est caritas}[15]
"To sing once is to pray twice" (Qui cantat, bis orat) literally "he who sings, prays twice"[16]
"Lord, you have seduced me and I let myself be seduced" (quoting the prophet Jeremiah 20.7-9)
"Love, and do what you will" (Dilige et quod vis fac) Sermon on 1 John 7, 8[17]
"Grant me chastity and continence, but not yet" (da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo) (Conf., VIII. vii (17))
"God, O Lord, grant me the power to overcome sin. For this is what you gave to us when you granted us free choice of will. If I choose wrongly, then I shall be justly punished for it. Is that not true, my Lord, of whom I indebted for my temporal existence? Thank you, Lord, for granting me the power to will my self not to sin.(Free Choice of the Will, Book One)"
"Christ is the teacher within us"[18] (A paraphrase; see De Magistro - "On the Teacher" - 11:38)
"Hear the other side" (Audi partem alteram) De Duabus Animabus, XlV ii
"Take up [the book], and Read it" (Tolle, lege) Confessions, Book VIII, Chapter 12
"There is no salvation outside the church" (Salus extra ecclesiam non est) (De Bapt. IV, cxvii.24)
"To many, total abstinence is easier than perfect moderation." (Multi quidem facilius se abstinent ut non utantur, quam temperent ut bene utantur. - Lit. 'For many it is indeed easier to abstain so as not to use [married sexual relations] at all, than to control themselves so as to use them aright.') (On the Good of Marriage)
"We make ourselves a ladder out of our vices if we trample the vices themselves underfoot." (iii. De Ascensione)
"Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are." (quoted in William Sloane Coffin, The Heart Is a Little to the Left)

No comments: